Monday, July 14, 2008

Viva la revolucion

Happy Bastille Day, mademoiselles and monsieurs. Saludos a los franceses...

I think Bastille Day should be celebrated more. The French flag did fly over Texas at one time and there are many Texans with French heritage. Bastille Day parties would be so much fun. Oui could totally dress up in decadent costumes and discuss art, leisure and sex. Kind of like Sunday Brunch in Montrose.

Speaking of the wonders of democracy, have I mentioned lately that I enjoy my subscription to the New York Times? Waking up to retrieve the morning paper before a homeless person steals it is a good reason to get out of bed in the morning. I did, at one time, subscribe to The New Yorker,  but I'm glad I don't anymore. 

Did you SEE that cover?! $4.50!! It costs a tank of gas for the price of one copy of that pinche rag that's often too condescending to tolerate. But I digress.

The New York Observer has a nifty piece about a crackdown at the Times by standards editor Craig Whitney on employees gettin' all political and stuff on the job. OR IN YOUR CAR! Or on your lawn.

Seriously - where does this end? Voter histories are public record. It is conceivable that journalists' voting records would be subject to scrutiny, as well. Then what's next? Telling reporters that they can't vote in primaries?

Reporters are always digging in your personal business, anyway. As JT says, what goes around, what goes around... comes back around.... yeahhh.

 

No comments: