Friday, August 1, 2008

I need to do this more

"What dat iz?" you ask, that I need to do more of?

I need to brag more about my Member of Congress, U.S. Rep. Gene Green. He's doing wonderful things for us in the 29th District of Texas. I don't agree with him all of the time but I trust him. 

"Why dat iz?" sez you, rubbing your two bits together, hoping they make some sense.

Because, thanks to Gene, I have a job. He's the best boss ever. I stay out his way and he keeps the lights on. It's a match made in employee-boss heaven. As if that weren't enough, Congressman Green has passed legislation, H.R. 1343, the Health Centers Renewal Act of 2007. The bill provides funding for health care centers around the U.S., and three right here at home: the Pasadena Health Center, El Centro de Corazon's Eastwood Clinic, and the Denver Harbor Clinic.

This is an important issue to me for several reasons - morally and personally. About 40 million Americans have no health insurance and must go to health clinics and pray real hard to stay healthy. I was without health insurance when I was diagnosed with an illness that needed immediate, expensive treatment a few years back and a clinic saved my life.

One of my mom's sisters, Tia Fran, is alive today because of the doctors at Denver Harbor Clinic. While others blew her off, Tia Frances was diagnosed at the Denver Harbor Clinic with a growth on her brain that was paralyzing her. Things would have turned really, really bad if the doctors in DH had not insisted upon immediate surgery.

So, on behalf of my family, Congressman - thank you. Your hard work in Congress is very much appreciated and it has given my Tia Frances her life back. 

That's her in the pink outfit in the picture below. I don't know why my family doesn't smile when posing for pictures, but I can assure you that they're happy. Ecstatic, even.



WHO WANTS A SHOT?
Speaking of being healthy (and happy), it's that time of year, again!

I think I just heard a collective "woo hoo!" from a bunch of moms around town.

It's time to wrestle your kids into sitting still, bribe them with ice cream and otherwise remind your mocosos that school's around the corner by taking them to get their shots. You don't want kids whose parents are anti-science getting your child sick.


Before you plan your first happy hour (IN MONTHS!), get the kids vaccinated this Saturday at the 13th annual Immunization Day in the district.

U.S. Congressman Gene Green
29th Congressional District of Texa
s
2335 Rayburn HOB, Washington, DC 20515
Press Releas

For Immediate Distribution 
Contact: Jesse Christopherson
July 29, 2008 202-225-1688 (office)
202-225-8620 (mobile)
jesse.christopherson@mail.house.gov
Congressman Green to host 13th annual Immunization Day

Houston, TX- Congressman Gene Green (D-Texas) will host his office’s 13th Annual Immunization Day on Saturday, August 2 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. In addition to providing free immunizations for children the event will give parents an opportunity to speak with Congressman Green about preventive health initiatives.

“Immunizations are one of the most important disease prevention steps we can take to protect our children,” said Congressman Green. “I hope that people will take advantage of our Immunization Day. It’s a benefit for our children and our community.”

Every year several elementary schools are selected to host the event. Rep. Green would like to thank the healthcare groups who are making Immunization Day a success this year: the Texas Children’s Ronald McDonald Care Mobile Clinic, Harris County Public Health and Environmental Services, and the Harris County Hospital District’s Sheldon School-Based Clinic.

WHAT: Free immunizations for children and preventive health initiative information. Bring immunization records for each child.

WHEN: Saturday, August 2
9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

WHERE: Janowski Elementary (HISD) - 7500 Bauman, Houston

Lantrip Elementary (HISD), 100 Telephone, Houston

Sheldon Elementary (Sheldon ISD), 17203 Hall Shepperd, Houston



###

No comments: