Tuesday, March 24, 2009

HLS&R Needs Scholarship Evaluators

I am the type of person who saves the protest for the big issues. I marched on Washington for women's rights in 2004, I marched for immigrant rights here in Houston in 2006 and I march in parades throughout the year for Cinco de Mayo, Fiestas Patrias, Houston Pride, Veterans Day and lots of holidays in between.

While I do believe that Sen. Mario Gallegos has a valid point, I'm not joining in on the protesting of the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. There are ways of maintaining inclusion and diversity within HLS&R and one very important way is through the scholarship process. I am passing along an invitation I received to participate in the reading and evaluation of thousands of applications from graduating seniors in the 8 county area served by the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. I'm kinda swamped with the Ed Gonzalez campaign, but Ed is on the Go Tejano Committee and I know he'd want you to know about this:

HOUSTON LIVESTOCK SHOW AND RODEO™

Metropolitan and Opportunity Scholarship Selection

Please plan to participate in evaluating applications for 2009 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Area Metropolitan and Opportunity scholarships. Your participation is vital to the Show’s awarding these four-year, $15,000 college scholarships to applicants from participating counties in the program.

Working in teams of three, evaluators will score applicants in the categories including community involvement, leadership activities and financial need. Applicants are drawn from graduating seniors from participating public high schools within the Metropolitan Houston area of Harris, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Liberty, Montgomery and Waller counties.
If you'd like to contribute your time, contact Roseann Blanco by email at blancorose@yahoo.com.

No comments: